Monday, February 2, 2009

NBA All Star Line Ups (Rants and Rave)

     As much as I claim to be a different and unique individual, there are some things that I enjoy doing just like everyone else.  Take the line ups for the 2009 NBA All Star Game in Phoenix, for example.  Just like everyone else, I've got my rants and raves about them too.


West

Starters: C Yao Ming, F Tim Duncan, F Amar'e Stoudamire, G Kobe Bryant, G Chris Paul

Rants and Raves: Not too many rants actually.  I think the fans got it right this time.  While I would have liked a small forward to be a starter, these five guys have been playing at a high level, especially this year.

Reserves: C Shaquille O'Neal, F David West, F Dirk Nowitzki, F Pau Gasol, G Brandon Roy, G Chauncey Billups and G Tony Parker

Rants:  David West has indeed morphed into a great player for the Hornets, but his inclusion this year leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I think forwards Al Jefferson (23.2 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game) and Paul Millsap (15.1 points, 9.5 rebounds 1 block and 1 steal per game) have had amazing years and either would have been better than West.  West may be a great player, but not this year.  Tony Parker may be playing great, but maybe I'd feel better if he had played more games this season.  I would have loved it if Kevin Durant, who has been on a scoring tear (22.6 points 6.5 rebounds and 1.3 blocks), was given the spot instead.

Rave: I definitely love the inclusion of Chauncey Billups instead of Camelo Anthony.  Obviously Mr. Big Shot is the main reason for the Nuggets' surge and he deserves an All Star slot for doing what Melo has not been succeeding in (leading the Nuggets).

East

Starters: C Dwight Howard, F Kevin Garnet, F Lebron James, G Allen Iverson and G Dwayne Wade  

Rants: I was hoping that the same populace smart enough to vote an African American genius into the White House would be smart enough to not vote in Allen Iverson, but you can't have everything.  Young point guards like Jameer Nelson (17.5 points 3.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists) and Devin Harris (21.5 points, 3.1 rebounds and 6.4 assists) deserve that spot that AI currently has.

Rave: Thank goodness KG has enough fans to prevent a Yi Jian Lan travesty.  Late into the voting process Yi, aided by votes from China, actually threatened to overtake KG for a starter spot. Whew.

Reserves: C Chris Bosh, F Paul Pierce, F Danny Granger, F Rashard Lewis, G Jameer Nelson, G Devin Harris and G Joe Johnson

Rants: Paul Pierce was, is and will be Boston's main man and hero, but he has been less "The Man" and more "The Invisible Man" lately, especially in Boston's slide in early January.  Rashard Lewis is just a beneficiary of Dwight Howard's dominating presence and Stan Van Gundy's three point shooting system so I think the East should have dropped these two forwards and instead taken in Antawn Jamison, who has been a true professional (21.1 points, 9.1 rebounds,1.3 steals), toiling and toiling for the Wizards.  Another great pick would've been G Mo Williams (17.3 points, 3.3 rebounds, 4.2 assists) who has been instrumental in helping Lebron make the Cavs dominant.

Rave: I'm glad that Joe Johnson is being more and more recognized for the stud that he is.  Atlanta is significant only as far as Johnson makes them.  Year in and year out, he has been the main man for the Hawks and it's always nice when a non-flashy but great player gets an All Star nod. I was also glad to see the Pacers' do-it-all guy Granger get a nod.  He has been carrying the Pacers all year and it's a nice reward for him.

     I know that while I have my rants against the All Star Picks, many will have their own rants and raves about my choices.  Let me know by commenting here or at plated_thrills@yahoo.com

0 comments: