Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Talking Teng




     In an earlier post,  Noy Noy for Prez?, I wrote about the perils (and advantages) of being a "2nd generation star," and 18 year old, 2009 UAAP Rookie of the Year Jeric Allan Teng fits the bill of a "2nd generation star," to a "T."  Despite the pressures of being the son of former PBA All Star Alvin Teng, this 6'2" shooting guard wasted no time in translating his transcendent high school game into the collegiate ranks, becoming only the second Xavier School alumnus to win the UAAP Rookie of the Year award.  Busy with his studies (BS Commerce) Recently, Jeric, who admitted that he preferred to take a game winning three point shot over a drive to the hoop, honored Fifty Peso Seats by taking the time to do an interview.  Below are the excerpts.



Fifty Peso Seats: Was winning the rookie of the year award one of your goals last year?


Jeric Teng: Well, i think it was one of my goals, but my main goal was to win the championship which i failed to achieve.


FPS: Aside from yourself, who do you think was happiest when you won the award?


JT: Aside from myself,  i think (the) one person who was really happy was my dad. According to him, it was a good feeling for him to see his son achieve something.


FPS: How much of an influence did your dad have on your game?


JT: My dad was and is a big influence on my game. He serves as my guide when I play.  Actually, he's my guide on and off the court.


FPS: With Dylan Ababou (Smart Gilas) and Kasim Mirza (Philippine Patriots) out of the line up, do you expect to be UST's go to guy this coming season?


JT: I think i may possibly be one of the go to guys for UST, so I need to improve my game and make the adjustments necessary.


FPS:  Do you have plans of going pro? how about playing in the PBL?


JT: I do have plans being a pro, if possible. I also have more concrete plans for the PBL since i am one year away to be eligible to play in that league.



FPS:  With your dad being called, "Robocop," some Xavier (his old high school) alumni have called you, "Robokid." How do you feel about that monicker and would you like to have a different monicker?


JT: Well, Robokid is nice. Actually, my friends and teammates also give me lots of monickers like, "Roboteng" and "Tengminator."  I think "Tengminator," is cool.


FPS: Some so called experts have declared your brother, Jeron (national U16 team member) to be better than you.  How true is that?


JT: Indeed, there are a lot who say that my brother jeron is better.  I think that may be true.  In any case, I am very happy that he has achieved a lot already despite being just 15. People should watch out for him.


FPS: Given the chance, would you like jeron to join you on the UST squad?


JT:  It would really be nice to play with my brother, just like we did in Xavier.  However, it will be his decision when the time comes, and i will be happy with whatever his decision may be.


FPS: Who do predict to be the NBA champs this coming season?


JT: I see a championship for Lebron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers.


FPS: Which basketball player (past or present) do you admire the most?



JT: I admire my dad because he didn't have much talent and also, he was small for his position but because he was hardworking, he was able to play long in the pros. he always tells me that hardworking players can sometimes beat talented players.


     Humble, a good head on his shoulders and a dad who has been there and done that, it's obvious that Jeric Teng's basketball career, despite being stellar already, has yet to see its greatest moments.  That's definitely good news to basketball fans like us, and bad news for any of his opponents.




photos courtesy of pinoyteens.net and jeric teng

0 comments: