Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Drive

      Today, I woke up late.  I woke with a start because I was going to be late for lunch shift at Quirky Bacon but as I started to get up, I checked my phone and I was shell shocked by the news.

      In the world of sports, the athletes most people remember are those who win titles, but the athletes most athletes remember are those who battle with a fire so contagious it affects everyone's game. Former National Bowling Team player and International Bowling Champion Ernesto "Joonee" Gatchalian was both.


      I watched him bowl in awe as a high school senior, I played against him in awe as a college athlete, I coached against him in awe as a young coach, I coached him in awe as we represented the country and I coached with him in awe as we guided young, up and coming bowlers.  I can endeavor to name all the titles he has won, but doing so will limit his greatness as an athlete, as a person.  Joonee wasn't just a champion of this or a champion of that.  He was a winner.  

      He was such a winner that no pressure situation, tall odds or opponent lead fazed him.  His fire to win was so much that his signature yell would be enough to distract opponents and fire up teammates.  Most importantly, he wanted to win so badly that he never let ego stand in the way of getting better.

      The one thing I will always be thankful to Joonee for is his drive to win.  An established bowler who's skills had already been proven, he had no need to humor me, a young coach freshly assigned to the national team.  Yet he was driven to win and he was driven to constantly improve his game and he recognized that I had something to offer.  He was humble enough to approach me, consult with me and take direction.  He was the first of the bowling veterans to do that and I truly appreciated that.  I barely changed his game.  I freed up his back swing and tweaked his stance, but that was it.  But he respected me enough to try my suggestions and he remembered to thank me afterwards.  Our mutual respect for each other fostered a friendship I treasure.  Players like him remind me why I was so dedicated to coaching that I put a hold on my culinary career.

       Today, I am sleeping late.  I am remembering my rival, my player, my co-coach and my friend Joonee.  I check my phone constantly to read the news again.  I continue to be shell shocked by the news.

       Rest in peace Joonee.  Thank you for your friendship and your respect.  Most of all, thank you for showing the country a drive to win that can never be surpassed.  Every time I hear thunder, I know who's bowling all those strikes in heaven.

0 comments: