Saturday, June 12, 2010

Broadcast Comm 101: THE Interview (part 1)


When I started this blog, reaching 100 posts became quite a big deal for me.  (Thanks btw, Tibibord for your humbling post.  I'm posting the link because it might help publicity for both our blogs.) As I was finishing my last Top 10 "Top 10," however, the greater concern became how I could make my next 100 better.  I still am not sure I can, but I know I'm starting way better than my first post.

It was my complete honor to conduct this interview with one of my broadcast heroes, broadcaster extraordinaire Sev Sarmenta, who was also my college professor.  Sarmenta, who is actually celebrating his 25th anniversary as broadcaster this year, does commentary for various sports, which include boxing and basketball, and he has been around the world to cover the Olympics and the Asian Games as well. 



Fifty Peso Seats:  Among all the sports you have covered, which sport/event would you say is your favorite?

Sev Sarmenta: I can do basketball, volleyball, and tennis reasonably well because i've played these games. in fact, i still try to play at the college covered courts at the Ateneo at least twice a week with the staff.

Boxing is something i learned to do over the last decade.  It helped I was a fan and Manny Pacquiao made boxing come to life.  Golf, I wish I could do more often because it is also a complex sport disguised as simple.

Basketball will have to be the favorite simply because of its complexity.



FPS: What could be considered the most memorable experience you had in broadcasting?

SS: (I) can't deny that going to the olympics twice, covering Pacquiao in las vegas, seeing our triumphs and frustrations in the Asian Games are the most delightful experiences. 

FPS: Speaking candidly, which broadcast partner would you say is your favorite?

SS:  I guess I'm at home with the veterans simply because we've been working together for, say, two decades now.  I left Vintage in 1996, but when I hooked up again with Andy Jao and Quinito Henson two years ago in Solar, it seemed like we never really parted ways.

I really don't have favorites because I try to bring out the best from any partner assigned to me.

Ronnie Magsanoc and I work well because he's flexible and I try to see the game from his view as a great point guard and assistant coach today.  I enjoy working with Randy Sacdalan, he's from La Salle but that never got in the way of our UAAP coverages,  being both teachers and from somewhat the same era, we share the same interests and experiences.

I also like working with the new guys. Jason Webb is refreshing because he has views that put game situations in an interesting light.  Alex Compton has a great feel for the game. 

FPS:  Have you had the chance to visit From the Fifty Peso Seats?  Which topics have intrigued you?

SS: Not yet. I will after answering your questions. (He did, and it was an honor-st)

FPS:  Switching to basketball, are you a fan of MVP's Smart GIlas program?  Do you think they are taking the right path to basketball respectability?

SS:  It's a valiant effort, given the money being spent and its vision.  People have mixed emotions about it because: 1) it doesn't include the best pba players and 2) the team looks raw compared to the competition it will face.

Let's give it a chance. The NCC program of the 80s managed to do it. I don't see how it can't succeed if we give Gilas a chance.  We shouldn't hope for asian championships right away though.  Just making us competitive against korea, japan and china plus the middle east countries should be quite enough.

     Coming soon, also this week, will be part two of this insightful interview.  In part two, Sarmenta shares his thoughts on the PBA viewership, Ed Picson and his own Top 10 "Top 10" picks.

photos courtesy of wikipedia, sev sarmenta and pinoyweb.info

0 comments: