Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Wish Granted?

The biggest bowling news lately is how American cops endangered the arrest and incarceration of a suspected drug dealer because they played Wii bowling in his house after they raided it. In the side of my bowling world, however, no news is bigger than the headlines made last Friday.

Last Friday, legendary Rafael "Paeng" Nepomuceno notched another bowling victory by earning the right to represent the country in the 2009 AMF Bowling World Cup, which will be held in Melaka, Malaysia from November 14 to 21, 2009. The 52 year old placed 2nd in the 64-game elimination round and then blasted his much younger competition in the stepladder finals. Paeng first faced Paolo Valdez and smashed him, 244-236 and 213-181. He then brought the pain to top seed Benshir Layoso, whipping the national team bowler 217-201 and 242-195 to earn his 16th trip to one of bowling's most hyped tournaments. Paeng's enviable record at the World Cup (an unprecedented 4 titles in 15 attempts) plus his record of 118 overall titles is what he plans to bring to the table come November.

While this piece of news is more than enough for me to get excited for November, another older, but no less important piece of news added very dry wood to the already raging fire of my excitement.



In the summer, Team USA, as has been their practice, announced its line ups for the year's top competitions. Head coach (and one of my coaching heroes) Jeri Edwards announced that Walter Ray Williams, Jr. was selected as the country's first professional bowler to play in the World Cup. Williams, the game's most accurate spare shooter, has already surpassed Earl Anthony with the most Professional Bowlers' Association (PBA) titles (42), and he celebrated his entry into the international play by winning two gold medals in last year's Men's World Championships. This year, WIlliams is looking to add the World Cup Title to his collection.


With these two developments in the bowling world, I can't help but think that God is reading my blog. In one of my earlier entries, Dreams May Come, (follow the story here), I mentioned the dream sports match ups I wished I could see, thinking that all of them were impossible to see because of several mitigating factors. However, lo and behold, here it is folks. Provided that they both play well, the greatest amateur bowler of all time, Paeng Nepomuceno can actually play against the greatest professional bowler of all time, Walter Ray Williams, Jr. in the World Cup Finals. Given the fearsome ability of both bowlers to win almost every match play game they have played, this would undoubtedly be the greatest match of all time, and I am not even using a hyperbole. Granted, both players are rather advanced in age (although Paeng's chiselled physique makes me look like chopped liver), and several top bowlers and former champions are expected to join this year's cast of participants, the two's penchant for playing well under pressure bodes well for the possibility of this match up, especially because the World Cup usually employs high scoring conditions.

As November approaches and more big names are added to the list of participants, this year's AMF Bowling World Cup promises to be history's biggest. Now, that I am so close to my dream match, however, I have to ditch any objectivity I might have in covering this story. I am so close and I want my dream match. Paeng, Walter Ray, get to work. Make this overgrown child's dream come true.

photos courtesy of msm.com.br and mela sogono (flickr.com)

0 comments: