Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fifty Peso Previews: Half Season Check Up

     Back in October, before the NBA season started, I made my fifty peso previews, making fearless forecasts for the each team's season would go.  As with predictions go, I had my fair share of right and wrongs, so I did a check up.


So Wrong, Shaking the Head is Not Enough


     Some predictions of mine were just so wrong that I winced when I reread them for this article.  Goodness.


New Jersey Nets


     Seeing the talent of this team, I predicted a good season for the Nets despite their rebuilding plans and ownership change.  Instead, the Nets, with an absolutely horrendous 4 win 48 record, is on pace to become history's worst NBA team.  The Nets seem to have a young core of competent talent in Brook Lopez, Devin Harris and Chris Douglas-Roberts, but this season, the Nets have lost several close games, been victims of R-rated blow outs and been a venue for some internal strife as well.  Yikes.




















Washington Wizards


     With their version of the Big Three returning healthy and trading for scorers Randy Foye and Mike Miller, it was but natural to predict the Wizards to return to former playoff glory.  Now with their head-scratching play and gun suspensions, the Wizards have amassed a horrible 17 win and 44 loss record, second worst in the NBA.  The inhabitants of U.S.A.'s capital have once again disappointed and trade talks concerning Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison are swirling around.


See?  Crazy Does Not Reside Here


     Some of my predictions were in line with popular opinion, but some were met with skepticism.  Well, I'm not the "boy who cried wolf," as you can see.


Oklahoma City Thunder


     I foresaw for the Thunder a season of playoff spot hunting where not too many people did.  Many claim the Thunder are too young, too inexperienced to stake a claim for a playoff spot in the tough Western Conference. The young guns of OKC have rewarded my faith in them, carting a 30 win, 21 loss record, good enough for 6th in the playoff seeding chart.  Kevin Durant has become every inch of a franchise player, running a close second to Carmelo Anthony in the NBA scoring race, and Russell Westbrook is fast becoming an elite playmaker, constantly flirting with triple doubles.  Look for the Thunder to keep that spot and make me look good.


Houston Rockets


     Many wrote off the Rockets as Yao Ming went down with injury and Ron Artest left for the Lakers.  I didn't, because I have faith in Daryl Morey and his scientific, by-the-numbers way of picking players.  I predicted the Rockets to fight for a playoff spot , and right now, the Rockets, on cue, are sporting a 27 win, 29 loss record and fighting for a playoff spot.  It's really a joy to watch the Rockets and their brand of smart, scrappy basketball and this season has been quite magical for a team with only one lottery pick (Shane Battier) and 4 late 1st round to second round starters.



0 comments: