Monday, October 18, 2010

Tiu-pefied

First of all, I'd like to invite everyone to watch my cooking demos daily on the Lifestyle Network or online on this link and on this one as well. Help make me Lifestyle Network's 1st Star Chef by voting for me.  Send an email to lifestylenetwork@thelifeyoulive.tv and type VOTE SHARWIN on the subject box.  You can vote as many times as you want as voting is unlimited, even from one email account!


     I'm probably the worst kind of fan there is.  Obsessed and always analyzing, I've become jaded to a degree.  I'm rarely effusive in my praise, but my interview last week with Smart GIlas skipper Chris Tiu left me no choice but to be different.  It's funny because I've known him since he was in second year high school, but his presence, humility and wisdom never fail to amaze.

     Finally able to talk to him after several tries, he graciously granted my request for an interview, inviting me over to Gilas practice. (Check out my fly on the wall article here)  While he was warming up and getting treatment for his sore hamstring and thighs, I take the opportunity to strike up a conversation/interview.

Plugging the Holes

     On the subject of pros playing, Chris displays his intuitive and intelligent side.  He admits pros are needed, despite GIlas playing together for over 11/2 years.  "There are pros and cons," Tiu explains.  "Whatever experience we’ve got over the last two years, you can’t compare to the experience the other pros have gotten. They’ve been playing for the past 5-7 years of their career so it helps to have an experienced player on the team." He is fully aware that, especially at this point in their development, they need some help.  "It helps to have pros plug in the holes, missing links within the team.  It would definitely help to have these guys, Asi (Taulava) Kelly (Williams) Sol (Mercado), most specially the big men positions coz we’re very limited with big men."  

     He's a realist, though, and he recognizes the difficulties PBA players have with their commitments to their mother teams.  Besides, he thinks the Gilas amateurs are more than ready themselves. "I think the level of the guys on this team now, JV (Casio), Mac (Baracael), (Chris) Lutz, Marcio (Lassiter), when they make it to the pros, they’re not going to be considered rookies anymore. A lot will be expected of them, so in a sense they’ve reached that level already where they can be very competitive at the pro level; technically they’re pros as well."  If given the choice to decide on the country's basketball program?  It's obvious Tiu believes in the GIlas program.  "I prefer you get some pros and retain the non pros, because for one being (amateur Gilas), we’ve traveled to so many countries playing against the best players and we’ve played as one team. We’ve gotten used to the system of coach (Rajko Toroman) so that’s an advantage."

No Doubting Douthit

     Marcus Douthit's naturalization bid has hit a snag, but his future with the team is still secure.  Just ask Chris.  "Marcus is going to play a huge role in our team. He has proven that in the past tournaments, specially our last tournament in China (ABA Club Championships) where he was a Mythical Five member. He probably would’ve been MVP if we had won the championship (Gilas lost by one).  Marcus has the experience as well, being drafted by the NBA. He played in Europe.  He's played in China.  He’s 30 and he’s been… he’s known the game longer than most of us have.  He’s definitely going to provide us with a lot of offensive and defensive power, so yeah we’ll need him."  

     His love for Douthit is far from just colonial mentality.  Ruing Filipinos' lack of size, Chris explains how FIBA play demands big, athletic players.  "You really have to be at the ring. You can’t just box out and wait for the ball to come to you. It’s not like that anymore.  You have to get the ball and you have to challenge the shots, block the fellow 7 footers of the other teams and offensively, you need to be able to finish strong on the other side, and it helps if you’re 6’11” plus you have athleticism like Marcus." 

To Pro or Not to Pro

     I've often wondered about this and no one seems to ask him seriously about it.  I was glad Chris humored me.  "I really haven’t decided.  I would like to, if I didn’t have any other option, career-wise, I would definitely choose to play PBA, at least for a while, maybe 2 to 3 years."  He turns pensive, revealing just some of the responsibilities that burden him, as he explains further.  "Given my situation, my family background, I have a responsibility to fulfill, maybe to help out in the family business.  If I’m going to get involved with the family business, it’s going to be really… I don’t want to get into it half-hearted. Anything that I do I just want to give everything and really focus."

     All is not lost for his PBA turn though.  Tiu himself has not closed the door on it.  "It’s hard to say. Things could happen. Things could change.  Like, I never thought I would be in the Smart Gilas program until I graduated from the Ateneo, and all of a sudden they came up with this program and they wanted me to be apart of it, so it’s really up to God and I leave it up to him."

     There must be a billion articles and interviews about Chris by now.  Unfortunately, people keep harping on his good looks or just label him a, "basketball star," without knowing what makes the guy truly among the greats.  For me it's neither his looks nor his three point shooting.  It's his being early for practice and leaving late to shoot extra baskets.  It's his never escaping practice by complaining about a viable injury excuse.  It's his preference to get his teammates involved over shooting the ball himself.  It's his strong but quiet way of shouldering TV shows, interviews, criticisms, family responsibilities and Gilas Captain duties, while staying humble and friendly.    It's his answer when I asked him about his plans.  "Right now, I’ll just focus on the team, focus on getting gold in the asian games and qualify for the Olympics 2012 and we’ll see what happens."  


It's his being a class act.



(Watch out for part two of my Chris Tiu interview, featuring the fun questions next time.)

0 comments: