Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Shadow Caster (Part 1)

     Take a look at Xavier School's basketball star Jeron Teng and you understand he's a player.  WIth a chiseled physique and great atleticism, you just know the kid can play ball.  Have a conversation with him, though, you get to know a polite boy with great humility and humor.  You then have to wonder if the news were true.  Yes it is. The kid scored 104 points in a single game (on 37 for 70 shooting from the field and 29 for 34 from the free throw stripe), on top of 24 rebounds two steals and two blocks.  From the Fifty Peso Seats presents an exclusive one on one interview with the Philippines' high school phenom, Jeron Teng of Xavier High School.


From the 50 Peso Seats: So first things first. Congrats on winning your third straight championship. How does it feel to capture the title yet again?


Jeron Teng: I'm really happy that we were able to get the 4-peat this year. We just made history as the longest championship streak in the Tiong Lian (basketball league) prior to ours was 3. Moreover, that streak was also set by Xavier during the time of Joseph Yeo, TY Tang, and Chris Tiu (all professional players now), so we're all really proud of ourselves to make history this way.


FtFPS: How did you feel when you lost game 1 of the finals, which was Xavier's first 
loss in 32 games? Did you or the team get more pressured and frustrated?


JT: After our loss on game 1, we were really pressured because we had to win 2 straight games or lose the title.  That wasn't easy, but it was a test of our character as a team. It actually served as our motivation to win games 2 and 3.

FtFPS: So during that game, when did you realize it was going to be special?  


JT: Before the game, i was told by the alumni that if i find an opportunity to break the record of Eric Yao (previous Tiong Lian League record holder, also from Xavier), which was 64 points, then I should go ahead and break it.  I was really hyped up and during the first quarter of the game, I already scored 27 points, so I knew that I could really score a lot and beat Eric's record. 


FtFPS: Did the coach or the team intend for you to get 104 points?


JT: Yeah, my coaches and my teammates really supported me. My coaches really let me play a lot that game, and my teammates really passed the ball to me.

FtFPS: Now that you've done it, how does it feel to post the highest point total by 
a Filipino in Philippine basketball history and just 1 point below Tony Harris' professional PBA record? 


JT: I'm glad and I'm proud of myself because scoring 104 points isn't easy. I (have to admit that) I really had good luck and things went my way during that game.

FtFPS: Do you think you can break your scoring record next season? 


JT: I don't think I can beat my record anymore. I really think that luck was just with me when I scored 104. 


FtFPS: Do you think anyone can ever break it?


JT: Yeah, anyone can beat that. If I was able to score that much, then other people can also.

FtFPS: You're the only Xaverian to play in the Olympics (1st Youth Olympic Games (YOG), SIngapore). How was your Olympic experience? Did it help you become a better player this past season?


JT: Yeah, I really improved a lot when i was playing for the Philippines (National Youth Team), especially in YOG, because i was able to play against the best players of the different countries. We were able to play against Spain, Croatia, and other great countries. YOG is really unforgettable. It's the most important experience of my life.

(watch out for part two soon!)

0 comments: